Sunday, August 21, 2011

the first single

i don't know how i feel about web logs.  i enjoy observing the way people think, and i definitely like hearing ideas/theories/randomness that has been generated from people i know, but i've never been too impressed with the majority of blogs or bloglike activity.. and honestly, i'm not sure that i offer enough to break out of that majority.  perhaps the most daunting aspect of starting a blog is the prospect of finding out exactly how many people want to hear what you think.  it's much safer just to think you could have a great blog if you had the time, or even to work for a print newspaper.  then you can just assume your personal readership somewhat mirrors the circulation numbers.. and yeah, that's intended to be an unfair shot at all of you real-life journalist-types ;-)

i like to read things that i know i could not have written.  when i read an analogy by G.K. Chesterton, or a description by Cormac McCarthy, or a theory by Mark Helprin, or even an random sports-ranking list/obscure pop culture reference by Bill Simmons, and i actually have the thought "i am incapable of producing this" (paraphrased), that's when i really know i'm enjoying it/getting something out of it.  so, as someone who is used to writing multiple articles a week for the general public (ha), i evaluated my own writing.  what do i offer?

i constantly have to remind myself that there are innumerable ways to write that can be valuable to other people.  my way, i decided, is very simple.  it has to do more with how i see the world than how i put words together.  i analyze how things work, and, with a lot of effort, i can explain my perspective in writing (i'm often incapable in speech).  it's not always original, or even entirely correct, but it's the best i've got.  so, in order to keep this blog fresh, i need to include those sorts of opinions from time to time.

the difficulty with opinion is consistently being able to relate information that is valuable to someone else.  the way i see it, you can find value in a lot of things — almost anything, if you look hard enough.  so what's important, as the writer, is to keep a specific purpose in mind.  why am i writing this?  who am i writing to?

i have my answers.

the overarching theme of my blog is the title, wonderful anarchy.  i see meaning and purpose in every little detail of life, and i want to share what i see.  the main theme of my theme will be my experiences as a first-year teacher.  there may be days when i simply relate a story from class, or a particular instance where i learned the right way the hard way, or even my deepest darkest insecurities about my ability to be a good teacher.  i also want to border my personal experience with a broader picture of my friends' experience doing the same-ish thing, but differently — this angle has potential to be the most unique aspect of my blog.

since i graduated in May, my life has been an unending chain of inexplicable events.  i look forward to relating more of the details soon, but what's important now is that i have no doubt i'm where i'm supposed to be.

1 comment:

  1. Well you've got me interested at least. I'll be back for more and we'll see if you can keep me. ;)

    ReplyDelete